Saturday, March 21, 2009

Lettuce Entertain You

(get it? get it?)

To fully understand the depth of this multi-faceted food adventure, you need a little background info. Since arriving in Russia, I have yet to eat a salad. A salad, by my standards, must contain more lettuce than oil or vinegar (pasta/chicken/egg/fruit salads are in a delicious category of their own and don't count). Every time I tried to order a salad, I got the same combination of chopped cucumber and tomato drowning in oil. So I eventually gave up and figured it would be a long 7 months before I tasted a fresh salad.

Imagine my excitement when I found lettuce at the grocery store last week. Even better, it was positioned conveniently next to cherry tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers — everything I needed to make my own salad. I purchased the ingredients and went home, thrilled by the idea of what I was about to create.
But the lettuce was even better than I could have predicted. Back in the US, when you buy lettuce, you just get a bunch of leaves. Here, apparently you get a whole POT:

















It's perfect! Once I finish this lettuce, I can grow some more and have an unlimited supply!

No comments:

Post a Comment