Monday, April 27, 2009

It's finally gotten nice enough here for me to do something unprecedented: run outside. While the predominant colors of grass/nature are still brown and gray, the sun was shining and it was a balmy 60º. In other words, as close to perfect as it was going to get.

I chose to run along the Gulf of Finland, figuring it would afford scenic views and a break from the pavement. I was 3/4 right: instead of pavement, I ran on dirt, broken glass, and old trash. And the view was scenic as long as I looked out, at the Gulf, instead of down. I ran through a playground in no ways suitable for children (here, too, the broken glass persisted) and on a "path" along the Gulf. As I was running, I noticed that I was getting stares because I was a) a girl wearing a gross old tshirt (as opposed to a fashionable Nike tank top) b) I was a girl running and c) I was a girl wearing shorts (as opposed to fashionable leggings).** Notice a theme?

It made me think about sexism in Russia. After Turkey, which has one of the most sexist cultures I have ever observed, Russia seemed like a relief. But sexism and paternalism still persist. At the soup kitchen, we stop at various cafes to refill on food. I'm not allowed to help carry the new tubs of soup, or even the bread, out to the van; this job is reserved for the men. In my poli sci class of 6 students, the (male) professor adores the one boy in the class, while the 5 remaining girls all blend together as one.
(the average Russian woman)
I'd like to believe that, as in other male-dominated cultures, women have some hidden power. But is this really true here? Women for the most part dress like whores until the age of 50, and to what end? I guess feminism, like capitalism, has made its way to Russia, and it may even be further along than capitalism. But that doesn't mean its completely settled yet.


**only 2 or so of you will understand this, but as I was writing that last sentence, I considered how much easier it would have been to just say бегающая девушка, etc. Has Russian grammar really taken over my life so completely?

No comments:

Post a Comment