Monday, May 25, 2009

Heaven in a box

Stolle should probably pay me a commission for all the advertising I do for them. I was first introduced to this magical pirog-maker on my second day at work. We usually have cookies and crackers lying around, but there was nothing this day, save for some mysterious cardboard boxes. I finally worked up the courage to peek inside and was confronted by mouth-watering smells of baked goods, meats, onions, and pretty much any delicious combination of food you can think of.

Since this first meeting, I have taught the ways of Stolle to no fewer than 5 others and have become close personal friends with the Stolle workers on Ul. Vosstaniya. Their pirogs are always fresh and seasoned (a rarity in Russian cooking), and they have several locations conveniently placed throughout St. Petersburg (and more in Moscow and Ekaterinburg).

Yesterday, we had our end-of-semester dinner, which consisted of a cruise on the canals and Neva, as well as about 45 Stolle pies. The leftovers went to the dorm people, so my 4 roommates and I now have a total of 8 large pies (fish, mushroom, and lemon) just for us. Yum!



Masha, one of the Ul. Vosstaniya Stolle workers — no, culinary masters. These people give Subway sandwich artists a run for their money.


P.S. For more information, check out stolle.ru

No comments:

Post a Comment