Thursday, May 28, 2009

Reflections Part I

I was going to title this post, "Only 10 pages 1.5 spaced stand between me and freedom," but that was too long.

Anyway, while my time in Russia is only about 2/3 of the way through, my time at FizKult is coming to an end — my membership expires on June 1st. I have thus decided to use my remaining time to consider what I have gained from this 10,000 ruble membership.

Apart from the physical benefits, I have gained invaluable cultural experience. I was able to interact daily with Russians in a way that even the most integrated of Americans are rarely able to. I discussed the shortage of towels, the lack of hot water in the showers, and other pertinent issues. FizKult was also the location of many firsts — you may remember that post oh-so-long-ago about my first time getting naked in a public, well-lit place. I also witnessed a new low for dog attire: a chihuahua outfitted in a camo hoodie, and twice walked in on a man changing (the first time was by mistake, I thought that my locker might be in the family changing room. The second time was on purpose: I had walked out so quickly after first walking in on him that I'd forgotten to check to see if my locker was there).

I'd also like to think that I taught the Russians something of American culture. Maybe those late-night gym goers will start wearing appropriate footwear to the gym. Maybe some women will start to wear shorts and old t-shirts. Maybe some of them will even put down their cell phones and run on the treadmill.

Finally are the unexpected benefits: the financial ones. Yes, FizKult cost me 10,000 rubles for 3 months. But over the course of those 4 months, I took full advantage of the unlimited access to drinkable water and smuggled out as much as I could carry. If you consider that I took out with me an average of 3 liters of water, not including the 1 I drank while working out, over the course of 100 trips to the gym (5 trips/week x 20 weeks), that's 400 liters of water. If you then consider that a 5 liter container of water costs about 50 rubles, that's 400/5 = 80 * 50 = 4000 rubles. Right now, the exchange rate is 30 rubles = $1, so that's 4000/30 = $133.33 I saved.* Given that my parents paid for the 10,000 ruble membership, whereas any food or drink I buy comes out of my own bank account, I actually made money from my gym membership. Not bad.

On Sunday, my last day at FizKult, I plan on arriving earlier than the usual 10 pm and taking my time to say goodbye to my favorite treadmill; the free weights; Yulia, the FizKult employee who hates me; and, of course, the sauna that provided such comfort over the long Petersburg weather. I'll miss you, FizKult.

*Most likely an overestimate, but I can confidently say the actual number is over $100.

No comments:

Post a Comment