Saturday, June 27, 2009

R.I.P., MJ

I sincerely hope that “where were you when you learned of MJ’s death?” never joins “where were you when JFK was assassinated/we landed on the moon/on 9/11”** as the Questions of Our Time. However, should this not be the case, I have an answer ready: in a gypsy cab speeding down Bolshoi Prospect of Vasiliesvsky Island.

My internet ran out last night due to my excessive downloading. Given that I won’t have internet at home for the entire month of July, I didn’t add more money to my account, figuring that a couple of extra days wouldn’t make much difference. I was wrong.

Farrah Fawcett’s death hit headlines before midnight my time, so I read all about it before going to bed. But when I woke up this morning, my ethernet was turned off, so I had no access to the outside world. Such access finally came in the form of an Armenian cab driver:

“So…what do you think of Jackson’s death?”
“Who? Jackson? Who’s that?”
“Michael Jackson! You didn’t know? He died today of heart failure!”
“YOU’RE KIDDING.”

We proceeded to discuss at length whether all that MJ brought to the music world sufficiently outweighed all he took from human morality and concluded that it was.

RIP, MJ.




** Answers: not born, not born, in 8th grade gym class ("Roller Sports")

No comments:

Post a Comment