Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mmm...kolbasa

I originally started working at Bellona translating texts from Russian to English and vice versa. This included the summaries for their quarterly journal, Environment and Rights. However, it was only in this most recent edition that my work was noted with “Translated by Sarah A. Kopper” directly under the following piece of text:

EKOLBASA: Myth or Reality?
Who here loves kolbasa? A sandwich with a thin slice of smoked kolbasa on the holiday table is beautiful and delicious. And although doctors never tire of repeating that kolbasa is not the healthiest of foods, the number of its fans is not decreasing….

I do my best to put things in a context English speakers can understand, but really — is there any way to make “a sandwich with a thin slice of smoked kolbasa on the holiday table is beautiful and delicious” sound sensible to an American? I can only hope that this is published on the website so that a google search of my name turns up the aforementioned summaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment