Friday, July 17, 2009

My new archnemesis

Cockroaches, scuttle aside and make way for the mosquitoes.

Yes, it is true — the cockroaches I shared a kitchen with for 5 months have now been replaced by mosquitoes as my most hated living creatures. Why? Because I woke up yesterday morning with 28 bug bites spanning my legs and feet. (What kind of mosquito goes after feet that walk 6+ miles per day and haven't seen a shower in over 36 hours? St. Petersburg mosquitoes, that's what kind.)

As if these 28 reasons weren't enough, I give the mosquitoes full credit for my latest injury. I considered last night's shower to clean off my muddy legs a perfect opportunity to justify scrubbing the shit out of my bug bites but had forgotten my special banya scrubber in my bedroom. I dashed out of the shower, naked and dripping wet, and promptly wiped out, banging up my leg in the process. Were it not for these damn bites, I would have had little motivation to bother with the scrubber and my legs would be in fine shape. On the bright side, no one was home to witness my downfall.

Another event in contention for Low of the Day was when, on my walk home, I saw a man strolling around, holding a beer, and projectile vomiting. The lack of enforcement of open container laws is exhilirating at first but trust me: it gets old real quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment